If you just got your teeth professionally whitened or you’re considering having it done, you’re probably wondering, “How long does laser teeth whitening last?” Well, the simple answer is it depends.
Generally speaking, the results from laser teeth whitening can last anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, but a variety of factors can affect the lifespan of your newly whitened smile. For instance, if the reason your teeth were discolored is because you routinely drank coffee, tea, or wine and you don’t change that behavior then you can count on some discoloration returning very quickly. The same goes for smoking and eating dark colored foods. The more stain-causing substances you consume, the shorter the amount of time you can expect your results to last.
Poor oral hygiene after a teeth whitening treatment can also prematurely darken your teeth. Adequate brushing and flossing is essential in removing plaque and stain-causing substances (like coffee and tobacco) and plays an important role in maintaining a healthy smile. Neglecting to take proper care of your teeth can not only have a tremendous negative effect on your laser teeth whitening results but can be harmful to your overall dental health.
Another factor that can affect the lifespan of a laser teeth whitening treatment, is tooth dehydration. Some of the whitening you see with this method is produced by dehydration of the teeth caused by the light-assisted bleaching. When the teeth rehydrate (over 2-3 days after treatment), some discoloration can return. This is because the teeth are more permeable after the treatment and are absorbing fluids from the mouth.
For longer lasting results and to manage premature teeth darkening, we have some easy post whitening tips that will help you keep your teeth looking their best:
- Directly after treatment, avoid smoking, eating, or drinking anything but water for 1 hour.
- For the first 24 hours (48 is better), you should abstain from the usual tooth-staining suspects: coffee, red wine, tea, soda, tobacco, and even citrus juices.
- When drinking beverages other than water, use a straw to avoid direct contact with your teeth.
- For 3-7 days after a laser teeth whitening treatment, apply whitening gel to your teeth every day to prevent color regression and further enhance the whitening results. We recommend using the Forever White Teeth Whitening Pen or the Deluxe Home Whitening Kit.
- Brush and floss your teeth with a soft toothbrush at least twice a day, every day – especially after meals. If possible, brush immediately after eating or drinking anything other than water.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue. Stain-causing elements can cling to the tongue and continue to stain your teeth even after you brush.
- Touch-up your whitening once a month with a home teeth whitening kit, teeth whitening pen or our 1 Year Maintenance Kit.
- Use Daily White instead of toothpaste to actively maintain your newly whitened smile.
- Apply Minerals Enamel Booster after every teeth whitening treatment or whitening touch-up to seal in the whitening results and remineralize your enamel.